|| Book Club || Fame Gold Citrus - Claire Vaye Watkins
We thought we might provide a little book club kit with some facts, questions and links for you to take to your book club and impress your friends! This months book club looks at Gold Fame Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins.
Firstly, impress your book club friends by knowing a bit about the author (according to her own site):
She was born in Bishop, California in 1984.
Raised in the Mojave Desert, first in Tecopa, California and then across the state line in Pahrump, Nevada.
A graduate of the University of Nevada Reno, Claire earned her MFA from the Ohio State University, where she was a Presidential Fellow.
Her stories and essays have appeared in Granta, Tin House, The Paris Review, One Story, Glimmer Train, Best of the West, Best of the Southwest, The New York Times and many others.
A recipient of fellowships from the Sewanee and Bread Loaf Writers’ Conferences, Claire was also one of the National Book Foundation’s “5 Under 35.”
Battleborn, collection of short stories won a bunch of really important sounding prizes.
She is a Guggenheim Fellow, on the faculty of the Helen Zell Writers’ Program at the University of Michigan
She is also the co-director, with Derek Palacio, of the Mojave School, a free creative writing workshop for teenagers in rural Nevada
Okay - so you know about Claire, now you have to think about the book. Below are some questions to get you and your book club thinking and talking:
- What did you think about the way to book was written? How did you feel about the structurally experimental parts? What worked and what didn’t?
- What did you think of the ending?
- What were the main themes?
- Who was your favourite character and why?
- The reviews mention the focus on celebrity, did you get that? What do you think it said?
- What did you think about the moment when Ray left? Did you guess what was coming?
- What did you make of the graphic scene in the *ahem* 'workin girls' house?
- What was your general impression of the world Watkins painted?
- What did you like, dislike, want more off and want less of?
Hopefully that will get you started and the rest will come easily! Have a great book club! Leave us a comment to let us know how you went.